Schematic representation of a coronal brain section.
Is this subdural or extradural blood? It isn’t quite crescent shaped and it isn’t quite lens shaped. So how can you tell?
Well shape isn’t everything. This is subdural blood because it is crossing the lambdoid suture. Extradural hemorrhage is contained by the periosteum of the inner table of the skull and therefore does not cross cranial sutures. Handy little fact to remember.You can see the suture for yourself on the bone window CT image here:http://radiopaedia.org/cases/subdural-haemorrhage-3
Cranial Nerve VII.
- Lacrimal gland
- Pterogopalatine ganglion
- Motor nucleus of cranial nerve VII
- Superior salivatory (lacrimal) nucleus
- Nucleus solitarius (rostral gustatory portion)
- Spinal nucleus of trigeminal nerve
- Internal acoustic meatus
- Stylomastoid foramen
- Petrotympanic fissure (chorda tympani nerve)
- Submandibular ganglion
- Submandibular gland
- Sublingual gland
Six branches of cranial nerve VII of head and neck expression
- Temporal nerve: Frontalis muscle
- Zygomatic nerve: Orbicularis oculi muscle
- Buccal nerve: Buccinator and orbicularis oris muscle
- Marginal mandibular nerve: Orbicularis oris muscle
- Cervical nerve: Platysma muscle
- Posterior auricular nerve: Occipitalis muscle
Coronal section of the brain highlighting lentiform nucleus, caudate nucleus & internal capsule
Another one of my hand made diagrams! Yaay!
Things you must remember for the boards:
In Parkinson’s disease, there is a degeneration of the dopamine-producing cells in the substantia nigra, pars compacta.
The striatum (caudate nucleus and putamen) is involved in Huntington’s chorea.
If posterior limb of the internal capsule is involved, characteristic upper motor neuron lesion results.
Copper deposition in the lentiform nucleus (Putamen and Globus Pallidus) is seen in Wilson’s disease.
I haven’t labeled substania nigra and subthalamic nucleus properly. I was focussing more on how the structures would look on a radiograph and completely forgot to highlight them!
May the force be with you!